AI Embedded in Sensors

This is an area at the cutting edge. How AI is Taking on Sensors

4 Likes

Good article. Thanks for sharing, There are some very exciting ideas and applications for moving more of the AI out to the edge on sensors as described here.

Thanks @Ron for sharing the article.

I found this tidbit interesting. A self-learning gyroscope!

BOSCH recently released its BHI260AP, which is a self-learning 3-axis gyroscopic sensor. As it operates, it can learn new repetitive behaviours that allow the sensor to recognise new tasks. Instead of being hardcoded into either software or hardware, the self-learning system can look at data that appears incoherent and make sense from it.

@petewarden thought this might pique your interest as well.

Thatā€™s definitely an exciting technology, and the article is really well written.
Iā€™ve some doubt on responsibility here.
Iā€™m not sure I like the idea of putting (intelligent) sensors on human body other than for medical care & research reasons.
In particular, I am frightened by the sentences:
ā€œIn a classroom setting, head movements can be translated into studentsā€™ gaze direction and serve to detect studentsā€™ attentiveness during classā€ (did you read ā€˜Beneath the Wheelā€™ by Hesse?)
ā€œwhere a distracted or tired driver can be alerted through detecting abnormalities in their head motionā€ (try to replace ā€˜driverā€™ with ā€˜workerā€™).

Iā€™m not sure national work laws are ready to prevent the abuse of such technology. Should we reflect on this?

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m off topics here, in this case hereā€™s my excuses in advance.